POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? : Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? Server Time
17 Jun 2024 02:47:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2010 20:43:05
Message: <4b6e1aa9$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:44:13 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> You, you make them poor, it leads to corruption, not away from it.

You remove the incentive for them to make a career out of it, and get the
people who *want* to do a real *public service*.  If there's no money in
it, you keep the money out of it (you have to monitor contributions,
bribes, and the like - but you take the money that's being paid to the
congresscritters right now and hire people to monitor that - you'd still
end up with leftovers).

You're assuming that if you remove the money from it, the same people
would participate.  I don't think they would because those people are
largely driven by a profit motive.

> The
> #1 thing causing problems right now is that companies and private
> groups, and sometimes people, funnel large amounts into electing
> someone, then expect them to do what they want, usually by bribing them
> with more money to help with X pet project, or the next re-election.

Yeah, so you watch for that activity like a hawk, and if someone is
receiving bribes, you prosecute them and throw their asses in jail - both
the person bribing the official and the official who accepted the bribe.

> Needless to say, a recent supreme court decision is just going to make
> this stupid idiocy worse.

I agree with this.  One of the worst supreme court decisions in all time.

> The last thing you need is to make it a field
> that only crazies and the corrupt want to even try to get into, because
> it pays shit to work at it.

Only crazies and the corrupt want to get into it now, for the most part.
Look at Michelle Bachmann or watch *any* of the house or senate debates
on TV where they pull out a stupid chart on an easel.  You have to be
crazy to say some of the things that are said on the house floor.

Jim